How to Renew Your Vehicle Registration in Indiana
The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles notifies vehicle owners of the expiration date of their vehicle registration by mail. Vehicle registrations can be renewed before the expiration date by telephone, through the mail, using the BMV's online service, in person or by using the Self Service Terminals.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY TELEPHONE
You can use a touchtone phone to renew your registration. You will need a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) to pay for the renewal transaction. The procedure takes less than 5 minutes.
- Have your credit card and registration renewal notice handy before the call.
- Call the toll free number (317) 233-6000.
- Follow the instructions of the automated attendant to complete the registration renewal.
- Your request will be processed within seven business days and mailed to you.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY U.S. MAIL
- Send the completed registration renewal form and the appropriate payment to:
Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles 100 N. Senate Ave. Indianapolis, IN 46204Your registration will be mailed to you within one to three weeks of receipt of your request.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL VIA THE INTERNET
- Go to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles Online Services website.
- Have your Driver license number, Social Security Number and your insurance information handy.
- Payment can be done by Master Card, Visa card or by debit card. Indiana is offering a 5% discount through 2008 for online renewals.
- Your registration will be mailed to you within 7-11 business days after you complete the transaction online.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL IN PERSON
- Locate the BMV office in your area.
- Bring the registration renewal form or the previous year's registration/ license plate number along with cash, check, credit or debit card to pay for the renewal. You will also have to provide your insurance information and your Social Security Number.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL AT A SELF SERVICE TERMINAL
- You can also renew your registration at any one of the 36 Self Service Terminals located throughout Indiana.
- Carry your license plate number, Social Security number or Federal Identification number and proof of insurance. You should also be aware of the type of plate you are renewing.
- MasterCard and Visa debit or credit cards are accepted at the terminals, which are open 24 hours a day.
- A registration renewal notice is not required for renewal at a Self Service Terminal.
FEESRegistration for different categories of vehicles in Indiana will have different fees as seen here. You can also calculate your feed using this online fee calculator.
- Before renewal, check for errors in the pre-printed vehicle renewal notice that arrived in the mail.
- For correction or change of address, you can still use the automated, toll-free number (317) 233-6000 to renew, or use the online services to correct your address before renewing.
- For any other error, dial the toll-free number (317) 233-6000 and explain the error to the BMV customer service agent