How to Renew Your Vehicle Registration in New York
The New York Department of Motor Vehicles notifies vehicle owners of the expiration date of their vehicle registration by mail. Vehicle registrations can be renewed before the expiration date either by telephone, through the mail, using the DMV's online service, or in person.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY TELEPHONE
You can use a touchtone phone to renew your registration. You will need a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) to pay for the renewal transaction. The procedure takes less than 5 minutes, however, there is an additional $5 fee.
- Have your credit card, registration renewal notice and the emissions certificate (if required) handy before the call.
- Call the toll free number 1 (518) 402-4838.
- Follow the instructions of the automated attendant to complete the registration renewal.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY U.S. MAIL
Send the completed registration renewal form and the appropriate payment to:
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles 6 Empire State Plaza Albany, NY 12228
REGISTRATION RENEWAL VIA THE INTERNET
- Go to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles Online Services website.
- Have your credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) or debit card (MasterCard or VISA) handy to pay for the renewal.
- There is no additional fee for online renewals.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL IN PERSON
- Locate the DMV office in your area.
- Bring the registration renewal form or form MV-82, along with cash, check, credit or debit card to pay for the renewal.
FEESRegistration for different categories of vehicles in New York will have different fees that range from $20 to $207 as seen here.
- Before renewal, check for errors in the pre-printed vehicle renewal notice that arrived in the mail.
- For correction or change of address, you can use the any of the toll-free numbers listed below according to area codes: In New York City from area codes of 212, 347, 646, 718, and 917, call 212-645-5550 or 718-966-6155; from 516, 631, 845, 914, dial 1-800-DIAL-DMV (800-342-5368); and from all other area codes in the state, dial 1-800-DMV (800-225-5368).
- You can also contact DMV by sending them your query using their customer service page before renewing.