- your advisor for New York DMV issues (not from New York? Select another state)

Traffic Ticket Attorneys - Connect with TicketVoid

Find Traffic Ticket Lawyers!

Free Service - No Hidden Charges - Completely Confidential
Ticket Void Cannot Help With Paying Traffic or Parking Tickets
How Ticket Void works:
  • Enter your DUI or traffic ticket information into Ticket Void websitte in a quick step-by-step process.
  • Ticket Void matches your DUI or traffic ticket information for FREE with qualified DUI and traffic ticket lawyers in the State/County of the offence.
  • A DUI or traffic lawyer within the Ticket Void network will contact you.

Suspended License Information for New York

While some motorists regard driving as a basic right, the fact is that operating a motor vehicle is a privilege that must be earned and maintained by demonstrating safe and lawful driving. Under certain circumstances, an individual's New York driver's license may be suspended or revoked for a specific length of time, depending on the person's driving record or history, and the particular violation(s).


There are a variety of reasons why your New York driver's license might be suspended. Some of these are related to specific driving violations, while others may be due to violation of other State laws. Following are some of the most common reasons for a New York driver's license to be suspended or revoked.

  • Excessive Moving Violations. The state of New York operates on a point system, in which drivers accumulate points on their license for every moving violation they commit. If you accumulate 11 or more points in an 18 month period, your license will be revoked or suspended. You have the option of attending a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge (AJL) or you may accept the suspension for 31 days.
  • Driving Under the Influence. Your New York driver's license will be suspended if you are found guilty of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. The length of the suspension depends on the severity of the violation and whether it is a first or repeat offense. The penalties are:
  • A first offense is considered a misdemeanor. The punishment is a $500-$1000 fine, possible imprisonment for up to one year and a minimum of a six month license revocation.
  • A second offense within 10 years is considered a crime. The fine is $1000-$5000, possible imprisonment for up to four years and a minimum of a year's license revocation.
  • A third offense within 10 years-is considered a crime. The fine is $2000-$10,000, possible imprisonment for up to seven years and a minimum of a year's license revocation. You might also have to undergo a Driver Responsibility Program for which you will have to pay additional costs. Refusing to take the chemical test will also result in suspension of your license for at least a year. The violations and revocation/ suspension periods are given below:
  • If you have a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.18% or are charged with Aggravated Driving While Intoxicated - one year revocation.
  • Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or with a BAC of 0.08% - six month revocation.
  • Driving While Ability Impaired (DWAI) by a Drug - six month suspension.
  • Any DWI, DWAI - Drug or BAC of 0,08% violation within 10 years of a previous violation - 1 year revocation.
  • Driving While Ability Impaired by Alcohol (DWAI) - 90 day suspension.
  • A DWAI committed within five years of any previous drug or alcohol violation - 6 month revocation.
  • First alcohol or drug related violation by a person, except Zero Tolerance, under 21 - one year revocation.
  • Second alcohol or drug related violation by a person, except Zero Tolerance, under 21 - revocation for one year or until age 21.
  • Driving with a Suspended License or no License. Driving with a suspended license will lead to an increase in the length of the suspension, and you may also be imprisoned for up to five years. The duration of the additional suspension varies depending on the reason for the underlying suspension. Your driver's license may also be suspended if you do not have your license with you while you are driving.
  • Driving without Insurance. All motor vehicles driven in New York must be properly insured. Failure to provide proof of valid auto insurance can result in your license being revoked for one year. If you allow another person to use your uninsured vehicle or if the uninsured vehicle is involved in an accident, the same penalty applies.
  • Other Driving-Related Violations. Your New York driver's license may also be suspended if you engage in reckless driving, are found to be at fault in a fatal accident, or if you abandon your vehicle on a public highway. Other reasons include speeding, leaving the scene of an accident without giving aid, fleeing from a police officer, accumulating three speeding violations18 months, getting three tickets within three years for passing a school bus.
  • Physical or Psychological Disqualification. The Department of Motor Vehicles can order a re-examination of any person who may not be fit to drive. An individual's driving privileges may be suspended if the re-examination finds they are physically or psychologically unable to drive safely.
  • Non-Driving Reasons for License Suspension. A variety of non-driving violations or issues can result in your license being suspended. These include: not responding to a Department of Motor Vehicles notice or not appearing in court; failing to pay traffic tickets, fines or surcharges; and not paying child support or issuing checks that bounce. Failure to file an accident report or to comply with a court judgment about an accident will also lead to suspension. The suspension period will be indefinite in the above cases. The suspension will be in effect till you have dealt with the reason for the suspension. If you fail to pay a ticket or a fine on at least 20 different dates, you can be charged with "aggravated failure to answer tickets" or "failure to pay fines". This offense is considered a misdemeanor and carries with it a fine of $500, a compulsory surcharge and jail time up to 180 days. You can be arrested even if you are not driving a motor vehicle for this offense.
  • Junior Licenses. If you are convicted of a serious traffic violation (three points or more) or any other two violations, your license will be suspended for 60 days. It will be revoked for 60 days if you commit a serious violation or any two violations within the first six months of receiving your license or permit after a suspension or revocation.
  • For Drivers aged 18 and older. If you are 18 or older and pass your road exam, you will be on probation for six months. If during this probationary period, you are charged and convicted of speeding, reckless driving, following too closely, taking part in a speed contest, your license will be suspended for 60 days. Once again when you receive your license you will be on probation for six months. If during this second probationary you are convicted once again of the violations listed above, your license will be revoked for at least six months. Your license will be suspended for 90 days if you are guilty of Driving While Ability Impaired (DWAI) by drugs or liquor and revoked for six months if you are found guilty of DUI.
  • Illegal Use of your License or Non Driver ID card. If you use your ID card/license to illegally purchase liquor your driver license or the right to apply for a license will be suspended.
  • Other Violations. These include
  • Homicide, assault or criminal negligence while operating a motor vehicle - your license will be revoked for a minimum of 6 months.
  • Giving false information on a driving license or registration application or using another person for a road test. If the criminal courts convict you, your revocation period is 6 months. If a DMV Administrative Law Judge conducts the proceedings, your revocation period will be one year.
  • Speed contest - a six month revocation and a second speed contest within 3 years, a year's revocation.
  • 3 speeding and/or misdemeanor traffic violations within 18 months - six month revocation.
  • 3 violations for passing a school bus within 3 years - six month revocation.
  • Fleeing the scene of an accident where there is a personal injury or fatality - six month revocation.


Having your New York driver's license suspended is a serious matter and it is essential to adhere to State law in the event that your license is suspended. If you believe your license may be suspended due to one of the reasons listed above it is advisable to speak with a traffic ticket lawyer or a DUI-DWI lawyer. The most important things to be aware of following a license suspension are:
  1. If your license has not already been taken away from you in court, you must surrender it to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles. You can surrender your license in person at a local DMV office, or mail it to:


6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY  12228    
  1. While your license is suspended, you are not permitted to drive. If you are found driving with a suspended license, you may be imprisoned for up to five years, and/or the length of your suspension may be increased.
  2. After your suspension is over, you will receive a written notice of restoration, with instructions on how to restore your license. Do not drive until you have completed the necessary steps and received a valid, replacement license from the New York DMV.
  3. You may be eligible for a hardship license that permits you to drive to work/school or to receive medical attention. The letter the DMV will send you will indicate whether you are eligible for such a license.


If you receive a Notice of Scheduled Suspension from the DMV, and you wish to challenge the suspension, you may request a hearing in court. An administrative law judge or the DMV Chief Administrator will hear your case, and determine whether your driver's license should be suspended or not. In addition, drivers whose license may be suspended due to accumulating excessive points may be eligible to enroll in a Driver Improvement Program. Completing a Driver Improvement Program removes four points from the current driving record. It is also a good idea to seek the advice of a traffic ticket lawyer or a DUI-DWI lawyer, based on the reason for the suspension.


You will receive a Notice of Restoration from the DMV after you have completed your suspension period. The notice will include complete instructions regarding how to get your license back. If you are a New York resident, generally, you will need to:
  1. Pay a restoration fee of $25 unless the suspension was for a violation under the New York State Zero Tolerance law, for which the fee is $125. The fee can be paid online or in person at a local DMV office. You can also mail a check or money order payable to:


6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY  12228    
  1. After you have paid the fee (it must be paid before the suspension period ends), wait for three days and check the Photo ID Document Mailing Lookup page. Enter your client ID as given on your driving license or your name and date of birth. If the page shows a processing date, your document was processed and mailed to you. If there is no date contact the DMV about other ways of restoring your license.
  2. If you hold an out of state license that was suspended, you will need to :
    • Order your driving record by mail. You cannot order this online or by telephone.
    • If your suspension was completed, the record will have the words "Cleared on "with the date of the termination.
    • If the suspension has not been completed you will need to contact the NYSDMV.
Note that after your license is restored, you will be subject to a mandatory probation period during which any new violations may result in an additional suspension of your New York driver's license.


Reviews of Suspended License Information for New York

I got a suspension 18 yrs. ago for a DUI. I haven't broken the law or had a single legal issue since. I paid my fine at the time of suspension. I assume it had been lifted, since I had gotten a license in two other states since! Lo and behold, when I went to renew a year ago, it was mysteriously suspended again...for not paying the fee when it was suspended - which I paid, of course. So, I paid it again. $300. I was told it was lifted and all was fine. Nope...NY never lets go once they get their claws in you. Turns out, I needed to send a $25 check, by mail, to Albany, and ask Driver Improvement for my license back. I did that two months ago, at which time I was told the process would take two weeks. HAH! Today, after sitting on hold for over an hour, I was told they're a month behind, still, and to try back in another 30 days. Is there any recourse for this ridiculous pee-pee dance!? I can't drive, so I can't work. I have a family and this is absolutely devastating for us. Does anyone wonder why people are fleeing NY State by the millions!? HELP, PLEASE!

Can you appeal a suspension due to non-payment of child support when there is a very good reason for the non-payment? In this case, the child was abducted to another country by the other parent several years ago, and the other country ordered support for the same child. A prior motion for modification of the U.S. child support order was denied without reason, and in violation of the law requiring the NY court to show full faith and credit to the subsequent order for support of the very same child in the other country, causing multiple liability to support the same child in two different jurisdictions. None of which has anything to do with driving in NY, yet NY has suspended my license because of unpaid child support in N.Y.

I received a refusal in another state that now requires a SR-22. My license was suspended in that state but my NY drivers license was not affected. I travel a lot in that state and want to get my license re-instated. First, if I get a SR-22 in NYS will my NY license get suspended? Another thing is I don't even own a car, can I get a SR-22 without owning a vehicle?

My New York license was suspended around 1970, I was living in New Jersey when I got stopped in NY and received a court summons. It was there that I was informed that I couldn't drive in NY because I had a suspended NY License. I moved to Puerto Rico in 1975 and been living there since. After 43 years is this information still active in the New York DVM Records?

I have idefinately suspended license and i no longer live in the state of ny. i was in a acar accident that no one else was involved in and i paid the fine for it. i got a letter in the mail stating that i haveto get the doctors paperwork or something like that to fix my license. what paperwork do i need to fix this so i can get a new drivers license? i have tried calling the ny dmv but i cannot get a real person on the phone. anyone that can give me some answers would be greatly appriciated. thank you very much

It's simple people.


I am now a virginia resident. I have been here for 9+ years. In August 2011 I had to renew my Va license. i had trouble due to me not turning in my ny plates after i change my ins to Va. ok. I paid the fee and after a week i was able to renew my license. Last week I was in a bender fender to discover I was driving without a legal license. New York had placed me as a "not able to be licensed" (by the way the police officer on the scene took my license away from me). I went to VA DMV just for them to say I'm okay and NY had cleared my issue and there isn't anything wrong. I had to re-apply with paying a 10.00 fee. i am very upset over this. Most of all, I have to go to court about this issue of driving with no license. Can someone help me solve this issue?????

Bring proof it was already paid to court with you. The judge should drop it because it was miscommunication between states

Where is the mention of a surcharge for driving someone else's (or your own) vehicle without proof of insurance??

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear from the DMV about a Drug & Alcohol Evaluation to get your license back??

3-6 months

I got a DWI and waited the 6 months of revocation. I then sent in my new license application MD-44 and waited another 2 1/2 months to hear from that. Then , the DMV made me get a Drug & Alcohol Evaluation. So I did. I sent it in last week. Anyone know how long it takes to hear about one of these from the DMV???

i would like to knw if my license is on a verge of suspension

You like to beat NYS at their own game, do what me and my friends do, have your girlfriend insure the car under her insurance or your mothers or fathers, and drive under there insurance. This is what I done for 4 years and my friends done over for 5 years. When they scan the plate your name doesn't pop up on the plate. I got caught once, because I did something sort of stupid, but learned from that. But my father removed me from his insurance and his insurance dropped so now I'm under someone else's. FU** YOU NYS, you spend thousands on police scanner guns which is invasion of privacy and brakes our constitution, but they don't do SH** for you when people like me (Many out there) still drive around without licenses because we use others insurances.. LOL

For those that are driving while susp (like the poster above). Make sure you are aware of this new technology!!!!

There is a new system out installed on some patrol cars "LPRS License Plate Readers". It scans 5000 plates an hour so a cop can tell in "seconds" if your are suspended when you drive past him. and he will pull you over to check your license.

Basically how it works is if you get suspended for any reason, the dmv will put your license plates in the NCIC national database and this new LPRS system will download the latest updates from them everyday. The cop will get an audible alert in his car along with a picture of yoiur plates and your car that tells him that you are on the "hot list". google for more info on the license plate readers.

Curious to know if anyone has ideas on how to beat this system????

why is everyone asking and giving their drivers license # out online to see if your license is suspended? this website has nothing to do with the NY DMV so they can't check...

where can i go on line or in person to find out if my licence is still suspended?

My ex bf had his license suspended for a lapse in insurance coverage. He has insurance now but he never truned in his drivers license or plates like you are suppose to. So once the suspension period is up and he is suppose to have his license reinstated what happens? I mean does his license get reinstated or more fines or does the suspension get extended till he turns that stuff in?

this happened to me a while back and i had to pay a fine for each day i didnt have insurance it was like $10 per day or something or the other option was to turn in my license for the number of days i didnt have insurance

this site is nothing but bull

I am looking for some information on the status of my drivers licsense??? Any help out there????

please tell me if i can get a NC state licsense with my previous driving record

You people have to be retarded. Look at how you write sentences. Why would you idiots give your I.D #, like the computer is going to look your # up or someone else is going to do that for you. LMFAO

i couldn't agree more, lol people are retarded

how do i find out if my license is suspended

I Martine Macdonald would like to find out if my License are suspended or reinstated my DL# is 682 949 002 exp 09/15/18 please email me back at personalmeal @

Thanks You

Martine Macdonald

I would like to know if my DL is presently current or if it's suspended.

My DL # is 562888832.

Please respond to my email:

Thank you VERY MUCH!

Wow you really put your info out there.. I'm sure all the hackers in the world thanks you. And people wonder how it is their identity gets stolen. Just by you putting your name, drivers license number and the expiration date on here are you aware of what people can obtain with that information??? If I were you I would delete this asap.


i would like to know my lisence status

i would like to get my lisence back


yes it is you idiot!!!

my license was suspended for un a unpaid ticket , id like to know if its been reinstated n if i have to pay a fee

i would like to know my lisence status

i would like to know whats going on with my LICENSE whats the status

my license was suspened for 2 DUI's my license was suspened for 6 months with a fine for $750 for each DUI making it a total of $1500. I what i want to know is I completed my time with the classes they ask me to take,my court fees are paid up but i need to pay motor vehicle's fee the court orginally gave me a conditional license but motor vehicle's said no and i waited out my time. Now that I've done my time can i at least get a condition license for work if i havent paid my fee's yet? and is their any was I can contest the fee charge if your in a crisist or in poverty?

Child support suspended my license how much will I have to pay to get my license back. Even if they are garnishing from my check.

sorry i don't have a answer for you I would like to know if you lose your license for child support can you get a conditional license

Thank you

I would like to know if my license was or is in effect to be suspensed regarding an accident on June 22,2009. Police made out a report, however I was not informed that a report/form had to be filed with DMV, within ten days as I have never been in an accident before, however the forms have now been filled out as of July 10th,2009 and is being mailed in. I would appreciate a response as soon as posible.

how can i check when i get my licences back i got it suspended for 30 days but i mailed it in around june20-26

i would like to check if my license is suspended.

Just using to keep up with my License



i would like to see if my license is suspended

is my license suspend?

hey drivers

I was driving without license about 2 to 3 years ago and I got couple of tickets what can I do to get my driver permit and be able to get my license? And also is my license still suspended or when I turn 21 will it clear from my record

i would like to know if my driver's licence is suspended ,how to check it ? lic#725128686 CHRISTOPHE HENRY O