Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Mutilated New York Driver's License or ID Card
If your New York driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated New York driver's license or identification card:
You can apply for a duplicate license online at the DMV website, by mail or at your local DMV Office. To apply by mail, follow the same instructions as given for out-of-state residents. To apply in person, follow the instructions below. Instructions on how to apply for a New York license are also available in this form.
- Locate the New York DMV office nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Download and complete the application form.
- Bring proper identification. The state of New York requires that you present a proof of identity that equals six points as described here, when applying for a duplicate driver's license or identification card.
- Bring the correct fee. There is a $15 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Please contact your local DMV office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary. If your license has been stolen and you have filed a police report, the fee for obtaining a duplicate will be waived. Bring a copy of the police report when applying for a duplicate license.
Instructions for New York residents who are temporarily out of state:New York residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card through the mail. Such persons may include military personnel or students who are either out of the state or country, among others.
- Download and complete the application form from the Department of Motor Vehicles website.
- Obtain a check or money order for $15, made payable to: Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. Please contact toll-free numbers to confirm the correct fee, as fees may vary.
- Mail the completed form, along with your proof of identity and payment to:
DMV License Production Bureau P.O. Box 2688-ESP Albany, NY 12220-0668If applying by express mail, use this address instead:
DMV License Production Bureau Room 223 6 Empire State Plaza Albany, NY 12228
- If you want the duplicate to be delivered by express mail, include a pre-paid self-addressed express mail envelope.
- If your license or identification will expire within the next one year, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.
- If you apply for a replacement driver's license online, it will take up to four weeks for delivery. To get a temporary license for the interim period, you will have to visit a DMV office in person.