Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Mutilated Texas Driver's License or ID Card
If your Texas driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Driver License Office.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated Texas driver's license or identification card:
- Locate the Texas Driver License Office nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proper identification. The state of Texas requires that you present one piece of primary ID when applying for a duplicate driver's license or identification card. Alternatively, you can bring one piece of secondary ID AND two pieces of support ID, or two pieces of secondary ID. Persons under the age of 18 must also bring the Verification of Enrollment and Attendance in school form, GED, or high school diploma.
- Bring proof of social security number. Persons who are not eligible for the issuance of a Social Security Number must complete a Social Security Affidavit. Proof of Social Security Number is not required for a person applying for an identification card.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $10 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Cash, personal checks, and money orders are accepted but credit cards and debit cards are not. Please contact your local Driver License Office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for Texas residents who are temporarily out of state:Texas residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card through the mail. Such persons may include military personnel or students who are either out of the state or country, among others. In the case of military personnel, Texas law specifically states that as long as the person remains in service and out of state, the driver's license will continue to remain valid. The validity will last up to 90 days after the person has been honorably discharged from service or returns to the state, unless the license is revoked earlier due to another lawful reason.
- Download and complete the Out of State/Country application form from the Texas Department of Public Safety website.
- Download and complete the Texas Driver License & Identification Renewal - Duplicate Application form.
- All non-military men between the ages of 18 and 26 must also complete the United States Selective Service Registration form.
- Obtain Social Security Number.
- Obtain a check or money order in the correct amount, made payable to: Texas Department of Public Safety. Please contact the Texas Department of Public Safety at 512-424-2600 to confirm the correct fee, as fees may vary.
- Mail the completed forms and proof of Social Security Number, along with your payment to:
Texas Department Of Public Safety P O Box 15999 Austin TX 78761-5999
- The duplicate license or identification card will be processed and mailed to you in approximately 45 days.
- If your license or identification will expire within the next one year, you can apply to renew your license or identification card instead of a obtaining a duplicate.
- You cannot apply for a duplicate driver's license or identification online.
- Drivers who need a Class A, B, or C Commercial Driver's License must apply only in person at a Texas driver license office.