Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Mutilated California Driver's License or ID Card
If your California driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Office.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated California driver's license or identification card:
- Locate the California DMV Office nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Make an appointment to save time.
- At the DMV office, fill in the Driver License or Identification Card Application (DL-44). This has to be signed with a DMV representative as the witness, and hence is not available online.
- The DMV might ask to see alternative identification.
Persons under the age of 18 must have the application signed by both parents. If only one parent has sole custody, this must be stated on the application.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $22 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated Class A, B or C license, and a $23 fee for replacing an ID card. There is no fee for replacing a senior's license. Cash, checks, money orders and debit cards are the only forms of payment accepted. Credit cards are not accepted. Please contact your local DMV office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
You will be issued a temporary license that will be valid for 60 days and the duplicate license will be mailed to your home.
Instructions for California residents who are temporarily out of state:
California does not accept applications for a replacement of a lost license by mail, internet or telephone. Hence residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person cannot replace a lost license until they return. However, exceptions can be made for certain cases. For more information call 916-657-7790.
- If your license or identification will expire within the next 60 days, you can apply for renewal by mail or on the internet.
- You cannot apply for a replacement driver's license or identification online.