Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Mutilated Wisconsin Driver's License or ID Card
If your Wisconsin driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) service center.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Wisconsin driver's license or identification card:
- Locate the Wisconsin DMV service center nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proper identification. The state of Wisconsin requires that you prove your identity by presenting an approved document. Non-US citizens have to provide proof of legal status.
- Download, complete and bring the Wisconsin Driver's License/Identification Card Application form. Persons under the age of 18 should have their application re-sponsored by a parent or guardian.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $14 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Only cash and checks are accepted. Please contact your local DMV service center to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for Wisconsin residents who are temporarily out of state:Wisconsin residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card through the mail. Such persons may include military personnel or students who are either out of the state or country, among others.
- Download and complete the application form from the Department of Transportation website.
- Obtain a check or a money order for $14 made payable to "Registration Fee Trust". Please contact your local DMV service center to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
- Mail the completed form, along with your payment to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation Division of Motor Vehicles Driver Information Section P O Box 7983 Madison, WI 53707-7983To hasten the mailing time, you can enclose a self addressed envelope with the relevant postage for express delivery and mail it to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation Division of Motor Vehicles Driver Information Section 4802 Sheboygan Avenue, Room 301 Madison, WI - 53702
- If your license or identification will expire within the next one year, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.
- You cannot apply for a replacement driver's license or identification online.