Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Mutilated Maryland Driver's License or ID Card
If your Maryland driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) office.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Maryland driver's license or identification card:
- Locate the Maryland MVA office local MVA office. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proof of age. The state of Maryland requires that you present proof of identity, name, age and residence (if address has changed) when applying for a duplicate driver's license or identification card.
- Bring the correct here. Normally, there is a $20 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Credit cards, check (made payable to Motor Vehicle Administration and containing name, address, phone number and driver license number) and cash are accepted. Please contact your local MVA office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for Maryland residents who are temporarily out of state:
Maryland residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person should call the MVA at (800) 950 1682 or (301) 729 4550 for information on the course of action to follow.
- If your license or identification will expire within the next 60 days, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.
- You cannot apply for a replacement driver's license or identification online.