Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Mutilated Pennsylvania Driver's License or ID Card
If your Pennsylvania driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Department of Transportation (PennDOT) Driver License Center.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Pennsylvania driver's license or identification card:
You can apply for a duplicate license or identification card by mail or in person. To apply by mail follow the same instructions as given for out-of-state residents. To apply in person, follow the instructions given below:
- Locate the Pennsylvania Driver License Center or messenger service nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Download, complete and bring the Application for Change/Correction/Replacement of a Non-Commercial Driver's License.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally there is a $5 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license if a new camera card is not required or $10 if a new camera card is required. A camera card is a temporary license without a photo that is issued if there is no photo on file for you. If you receive a camera card, you will have to visit a Photo License Center within 60 days to have a picture taken for your new license. Only checks and money orders are acceptable. Please contact your local PennDOT Driver License Center to confirm the fee and mode of payment before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for Pennsylvania residents who are temporarily out of state:Pennsylvania residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card through the mail. Such persons may include military personnel or students who are either out of the state or country, among others.
- Download, complete and notarize an Application for Change/Correction/Replacement of a Noncommercial Driver's License from the PennDOT.
- Obtain a check or money order in the correct amount, made payable to: PennDOT. Please contact the PennDOT Driver License Center at (717) 412 5300 to confirm the correct fee, as fees may vary.
- Mail the completed form, along with your payment to:
PennDOT P.O. Box 68614 Harrisburg, PA 17106-8614
- If your license or identification will expire within the next six months, you are not eligible to apply for a duplicate or replacement. Instead, you will need to renew your license or identification card.
- You cannot apply for a replacement driver's license or identification online.