Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Mutilated Washington DC Driver's License or ID Card
If your Washington DC driver's license or identification card has been lost or stolen, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.
Instructions for replacing a lost or stolen Washington DC driver's license or Identification Card:
You can apply for a duplicate license or identification card online on the DMV website, if it is not due to expire in less than ten days. You will need to provide your driver license or identification card number, name, date of birth and Social Security number, and pay the $7 fee with a major credit card, other than American Express. The duplicate will be mailed to the address in the record.
To apply in person, follow the instructions below:
- Locate the Washington DC DMV office service location. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Download, complete and bring the Driver's License and Voter's Registration form.
- Bring proper identification. The state of Washington DC requires that you present proof of identity, Social Security number and residence (if it has changed).
- Bring the correct fee. There is a $7 fee for replacing a lost or stolen license. Cash, checks or credit cards (American Express is not accepted) are the only forms of payment accepted. Please contact your local DMV office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for replacing a lost or stolen Washington DC driver's license or Identification Card Online:
Washington DC residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card online, provided their name remains the same and there are 10 or more days until their license expires.
The duplicate license or identification card will be processed and mailed in approximately 10 business days. But it will be mailed only to the address in the DMV records.
- If your license or identification will expire soon, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.