Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Mutilated Massachusetts Driver's License or ID Card
If your Massachusetts driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license online, by telephone or at your local Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) office.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Massachusetts driver's license or identification card:
If you have a Massachusetts photo-imaged license, you can apply for a duplicate online at the RMV website or on the phone by calling the RMV telephone center. You will need to provide your Social Security number, name and date of birth. A major credit card will be needed to make the payment.
If you do not have a photo-imaged license or a credit card, you can apply for a replacement in person by following the instructions below:
- Locate the Massachusetts RMV office nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proper identification. The state of Massachusetts requires that you present at least four documents that should include your Social Security card or valid current passport, proof of date of birth, signature, and residence. Identification is not required if your driver's license or Identification card photo-imaged. Persons under the age of 18 need not present proof of residence or signature.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $20 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Please contact your local RMV office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for Massachusetts residents who are temporarily out of state:Massachusetts residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card by calling (617) 351 4500 or through the mail. Such persons may include military personnel or students who are either out of the state or country, among others.
- Download and complete the application form from the Massachusetts RMV website.
- Obtain a check or money order in the correct amount, made payable to: Registry of Motor Vehicles. Please contact the RMV Telephone Center to confirm the correct fee, as fees may vary.
- Mail the completed form with your name, license number, out of state address and telephone number, along with your payment to:
Registry of Motor Vehicles Customer Assistance Bureau P.O. Box 55889 Boston, MA, 02203
- The duplicate license or identification card will be processed and mailed to you in approximately 10 business days.
- If your license or identification will expire within the next one year, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.