If your New Jersey driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) Office.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated New Jersey driver's license or identification card:
- Locate the New Jersey MVC office nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proper identification. The state of New Jersey requires that you complete a 6-point ID verification, by presenting at least one piece of primary ID and one piece of secondary ID when applying for a duplicate driver's license or identification card. Your Social Security number and an address proof are also required.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is an $11 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Credit cards, checks, money orders and cash are accepted as forms of payment. Please contact your local MVC Office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for New Jersey residents who are temporarily out of state:
New Jersey residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card through the mail. Request the MVC for an application by calling (609) 292 6500. If you do not have a digital license, only a temporary license valid for one-year can be obtained.
- If your license or identification will expire within the next 180 days, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.
- You cannot apply for a replacement driver's license or identification online.