Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Mutilated Nebraska Driver's License or ID Card
If your Nebraska driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) county treasurer office.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Nebraska driver's license or identification card:
- Locate the Nebraska DMV county treasurer office nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proper identification document. The state of Nebraska requires one form of identification, which includes name and date of birth, for a driver's license. For an identification card, two forms of identification are required. You must bring original documents as photocopies are not accepted. Persons under the age of 18 must provide a certified birth certificate or a certified birth registration (a certificate issued in a hospital not acceptable). Those with a foreign-based birth certificate should present an accompanying US based document. A person under 18 who is unable to provide a certified birth certificate or certified birth registration m have a parent or guardian complete a certification stating your identity. This must be accompanied by one form of identification, which includes name and date of birth.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $11.25 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Please contact your local county treasurer office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for Nebraska residents who are temporarily out of state:Nebraska residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card through the mail. Such persons may include military personnel or students who are either out of the state or country, among others.
- Download and complete the application form from the DMV website, along with your notarized signature.
- Mail the completed form with proof of proof of identification and a check or money order for the appropriate fee to:
Department of Motor Vehicles Examining Division P.O. Box 94789 Lincoln, NE 68509
- If your license or identification will expire within the next 90 days, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.
- You cannot apply for a replacement driver's license or identification online.