How to Renew a Driver's License in Nebraska
A Nebraska Driver's License can only be renewed in person at any License Examiner's Office; or by mail under special circumstances.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Nebraska Driver's license is usually valid for 5 years unless you are under the age of 21 in which case it is valid till your 21st birthday. The expiration year depends on your age when the expiring license was issued or last renewed:
Driver's Age at License Issue or Last RenewalValidity of License Under 21license expires on 21st birthday Over 21license valid for 5 years
- In case you are above 21 years of age and can provide proof that you will be out of state come license renewal time, you may be eligible for early renewal of your driver's license. For more information, contact your local License Examiner's Office.
TO RENEW IN PERSONYou must bring:
- The completed renewal reminder form that the DMV sends about 90 days before the date of expiration, to the nearest License Examiner's Office. In the absence of this reminder form, bring a completed Operators License-ID data form or Commercial Drivers License data form (depending on the type of license being renewed), to renew in person.
- Your expiring license or Proof of Identity if the expiring license is not available.
- Social security number or document verifying SSN.
- Be prepared for testing requirements which include the vision test and may include a written test (for licenses expired for over a year).
- A road skills test could also be required by the DMV staff at their discretion.
- Renewal fee for Class O driver's license for a 5 year period is $24. Please check here for the exact amount based on your license type.
TO RENEW BY MAILRenewal by mail is available only to Nebraska residents who are out of state during the time of renewal. For these drivers, renewal can be completed by mail up to one year after the date of expiration. Renewal by mail is not applicable if you have a Commercial Driver's License. When you renew by mail, you should prepare and/or complete:
- Three mail renewal application forms:
- Operators License Out of State Renewal data form.
- Clear photocopy of your expiring license or Proof of Identity.
- Report of Vision Test, completed by an eye specialist.
- Your out of state address and contact numbers.
Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles, PO Box 94726, Lincoln, NE 68509 Fax: (402) 471-4020.
- The Nebraska DMV will then send an issuance certificate which needs to be signed and sent back to the same address with the appropriate renewal fees.
- The DMV will then send the renewed license to the out of state address. The renewed license will only carry your photograph if the DMV has your digital image on file.
- Once you return to Nebraska, you need to surrender the renewed license (if it does not have a photograph) to the office of any County Treasurer within 30 days. You will be issued a new license with your photograph on payments of $11.25.