How to Renew Your Vehicle Registration in Oregon
The Oregon Department of Transportation (DOT) notifies vehicle owners of the expiration date of their vehicle registration by mail 40-60 days prior to expiration date. Vehicle registrations can be renewed before the expiration date either by mail or using the DOT's online service, or in some cases in person.
If you have lost the reminder or have not received one, call for a duplicate one at (503) 945-5000.
To know if your vehicle is subject to DEQ testing you can visit the DOT's emission requirements page.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY U.S. MAIL
- Send the completed DMV approved registration renewal application form and the appropriate payment for the same to:
Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles
1905 Lana Ave. NE
Salem, OR 97314
REGISTRATION RENEWAL VIA THE INTERNET
- Renewal of your vehicle's registration is only possible if the DEQ emission requirement of the State of Oregon has been met with or if your vehicle is exempted from the same.
- You cannot renew online if your registration has expired for more than 75 days.
- Go to the Oregon Department of Transportation Online Services website.
- Have your credit card (Visa or MasterCard) or debit card (MasterCard or VISA) handy to pay for the renewal. You will also require the vehicle registration renewal reminder as well as the vehicle's insurance policy details.
- There is no additional fee for online renewals.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL IN PERSON
- DOT recommends that you renew in person only if there is a complicated transaction or if some changes need to be made in the registration.
- Locate the DOT office in your area.
- Bring the DOT approved registration renewal form credit or debit card to pay for the renewal.
Registration for different categories of vehicles in Oregon will have different fees that range from $10 for two year registration renewal to $108 for four years registration renewal as seen here.
- Before renewal, check for errors in the pre-printed vehicle renewal card that arrived in the mail.
- For correction or change of address, you need to notify the DOT within 30 days of relocating.
- You can change address and related information by mail or use the DMV's online services for changing address before renewing the vehicle's registration.