You can apply for a new driver's license at any local Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) in Louisiana. Obtain a Louisiana Driver's Handbook to familiarize with the driving rules and regulations.
NEW DRIVERS AND FIRST TIME APPLICANTS
Following are the basic requirements for applying for a Louisiana Class E personal driver's license:
- Applicants must be 15 years or older.
- Applicants must complete and submit an Application for License.
- Any individual under 17 should provide parental consent and must complete the approved driver education course. For additional details, see Beginner Drivers and/or Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers.
- All first time applicants must complete a 36-hour driver education course or a 6-hour pre-licensing training course approved by the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections. Those applicants holding an out-of-state, foreign or military license are exempt from this requirement, and so are those who are at least 17 years old whose nearest location offering either course is more than 25 miles away.
- Everyone must pass the vision, written, and driving tests. See Practice Tests and Driver's Handbook for more information on the written examination.
- If the applicant's own vehicle is being used for the driving test, proof of insurance must be provided. The vehicle used for the test must also be up to date on registration and inspections.
- Applicants must provide acceptable proof of identification.
Louisiana residents holding a driver's license from another state need to apply for a license within 30 days from time of residence. They will need to take only a vision test at the time of application, unless the license has been expired for more than one year, in which case a written test is required. If the license has expired for more than two years, a written as well as a driving test is required. More information can be found here
Non-US citizens (immigrants or non-immigrants) residing in Louisiana may apply for a Louisiana driver's license, as long as they can provide proof that they are legally authorized to be in the United States, and meet all the other requirements. Driver's License issuance for aliens living in Louisiana
gives more detailed information.
The cost for a personal (Class E) Louisiana Driver's License is generally
- $24.50 - 15 to 69 years
- $15.50 - 70 years and older
However fees may vary depending on your location. For more information, see fee and duration of license
. You can also contact your local OMV office
to find out the exact fees.
The validity of a Louisiana driver's license is four years.
With certain restrictions, an individual can legally drive in Louisiana with a learner's license. See more information on learner's licenses here