Pass Your DMV Test
How to Apply for a New Driver's License in Kentucky
You can apply for a new driver's license at your local [ Circuit Court Clerk's office]. Obtain a Kentucky Driver's Manual to familiarize with the driving rules and regulations.
NEW DRIVERS AND FIRST TIME APPLICANTS
Following are the basic requirements for applying for a Kentucky driver's license:
- Applicants must be 16 years or older.
- Any individual under 18 should provide parental consent and must have had the learner's permit for at least 180 days before applying for a provisional driver license. They must have completed the Graduated Licensing Program. For additional details, see Beginner Drivers and/or Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers.
- Everyone must pass the vision, written, and driving tests. See Practice Tests and Driver's Handbook for more information on the written examination. Driver education programs can help individuals prepare for their road test.
- Applicants must provide birth certificate and social security card.
- Applicants must provide proof of Kentucky [ residency] and [ presence].
NEW RESIDENTSKentucky residents holding a valid driver's license from another state will not be required to test. However, like other applicants, new residents must provide proof of identification, residency and presence. Non-US citizens residing in Kentucky may apply for a Kentucky driver's license, as long as they can provide proof that they are legally authorized to be in the United States, and meet all the other [ requirements]. Note that a Kentucky driver's license issued to a foreign national will expire no later than the last date on which they are authorized to be in the United States by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service. If you are a licensed driver from your country you can drive in Kentucky using this along with an international permit for upto a year.
FEESThe [ cost] for a non-commercial Kentucky driver's license ranges between $10 and $30.
VALIDITYThe validity of a Kentucky driver's license is based on the driver's age at the time the license was issued.
- For drivers below 21, the license is valid until 90 days after their 21st birthday, after which it may be renewed.
- For drivers above 21 years of age the license is valid until 31 days after their birthday, every four years, after which it may be renewed.
LEARNER'S LICENSEWith certain restrictions, an individual can legally drive in Kentucky with a learner's license. See more information on learner's licenses here.
- See also Renewing Your License.
- For information on other types of licenses, see Commercial Driver's Licenses, Motorcycle Licenses.
- It is necessary to have active Auto Insurance in order to drive legally in Montana.
- New drivers see our Driver Education, Driving Schools, Beginner Drivers and Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers sections.