Pass Your DMV Test
How to Apply for a New Driver's License in Nevada
NEW DRIVERS AND FIRST TIME APPLICANTS
Following are the basic requirements for applying for a Nevada driver's license:
- Applicants must be 15 and Â½ years or older.
- Any individual under 18 should provide parental consent and must complete the Classroom Driver Education course. For additional details, see Beginner Drivers and/or Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers.
- Everyone must pass the vision, written, and driving tests. See Practice Tests and Driver's Handbook for more information on the written examination. Driver education programs can help individuals prepare for their road test.
- Applicants must provide acceptable proof of identification.
- Applicants must provide proof of Nevada residency.
NEW RESIDENTSNevada residents holding a driver's license from another state need to pass the vision test and/or knowledge test. New residents must also provide proof of identification and residency. Non-US citizens residing in Nevada may apply for a Nevada driver's license, as long as they can provide proof that they are legally authorized to be in the United States, and meet all the other requirements. The kind of license that is issued depends on your immigration status. Please note that the State of Nevada does not recognize foreign driver's licenses.
FEESThe cost for a non-commercial Nevada driver's license is $21.25. For further information on the various fees please click here.
VALIDITYThe validity of a Nevada driver's license is 4 years from the year of issue and it expires on the driver's birthday.
LEARNER'S LICENSEWith certain restrictions, an individual can legally drive in Nevada with an instruction permit. See more information on learner's licenses here.
- See also Renewing Your License.
- For information on other types of licenses, see Commercial Driver's License, Motorcycle Licenses.
- It is necessary to have active Auto Insurance in order to drive legally in Nevada.
- New drivers see our Driver Education , Driving Schools, Beginner Drivers and Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers sections.