You can apply for a new driver's license at any MVC agency in New Jersey. Obtain a New Jersey Driver's Handbook to familiarize with the driving rules and regulations.
NEW DRIVERS AND FIRST TIME APPLICANTS
Following are the basic requirements for applying for a New Jersey driver's license:
- Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- Any individual under 18 should provide parental consent and must complete the graduated driver licensing process. For additional details, see Beginner Drivers and/or Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers.
- Everyone must pass the vision, knowledge and driving tests. You will also have to practice supervised driving for a period ranging from 3 to 6 months depending on your age group. See Practice Tests and Driver's Handbook for more information on the written examination. Driver education programs can help individuals prepare for their road test.
- Applicants must pass the 6 point ID verification.
- Once you have passed the driving test, you are eligible for a provisional license. This allows you to drive unsupervised, with certain restrictions.
- Basic driver's licenses are only issued after one year of unsupervised driving on the provisional license.
New Jersey residents holding a valid driver's license from another state can obtain a basic driver's license by passing the 6 point ID verification
and surrendering their old license. You will also have to pass the vision test. You may even need to pass the knowledge test and the road test if you are under 18 years of age, or if your present license has expired
Non-US citizens residing in New Jersey may apply for a New Jersey driver's license, as long as they can provide proof that they are legally authorized to be in the United States, and meet all the other requirements
. You will also have to pass the vision test, knowledge test, and/or a road test. Those who cannot show proof of driving experience will have to complete the graduated driver licensing process.
The cost for a basic driver's license in New Jersey is $24.
The validity of a New Jersey driver's license is 4 years.
First time drivers are required to complete a graduated driver licensing process
in order to obtain a basic driver's license.