You can apply for a new driver's license at any Iowa Driver's License Issuance Site. Obtain an Iowa Driver's Handbook to familiarize with the driving rules and regulations.
NEW DRIVERS AND FIRST TIME APPLICANTS
Following are the basic requirements for applying for an Iowa driver's license:
- Applicants must be 16 years or older.
- Any individual under 18 should provide parental consent and may have to follow the graduated licensing system. For additional details, see Beginner Drivers and/or Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers.
- Everyone must pass the vision, written, and driving tests. See Practice Tests and Driver's Handbook for more information on the written examination. Driver education programs can help individuals prepare for their road test.
- Applicants must provide acceptable proof of identification and social security number.
- Applicants must provide proof of Iowa residency and presence.
Iowa residents holding a driver's license from another state should visit a Driver License Issuance Office with proof of identification and residency. The written and/or driving tests may be waived at the discretion of the examiner. However, like other applicants, new residents must provide proof of identification and residency.
Non-US citizens residing in Iowa may apply for a Iowa driver's license, as long as they can provide proof that they are legally authorized to be in the United States, and meet all the other requirements. Note that an Iowa driver's license issued to a temporary foreign national will expire no later than the last date on which they are authorized to be in the United States by the U.S Immigration and Naturalization Service, or in two years, whichever is earlier. Permanent residents should provide their Permanent Resident Card (I-551) and may receive a full-term driver's license.
The cost for a non-commercial (Class D) Iowa driver's license is $20 for a 5-year license, and $8 for a 2-year license.
All Iowa driver's licenses are issued for either 2 years or 5 years.
GRADUATED LICENSING SYSTEM
With certain restrictions, an individual can legally drive in Iowa with a learner's license. See more information on graduated driver's licenses