You can apply for a new driver's license at any Bureau of Motor Vehicles office in Maine. Obtain a Maine Driver's Handbook to familiarize with the driving rules and regulations.
NEW DRIVERS AND FIRST TIME APPLICANTS
Following are the basic requirements for applying for a Maine driver's license:
- Applicants must be 15 years or older.
- Applicants below 16 years must complete the driver education course. For additional details, see Beginner Drivers and/or Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers.
- Everyone must pass the vision, written and driving tests. See Practice Tests and Driver's Handbook for more information on the written examination. Driver education programs can help individuals prepare for their road test. To schedule your road test, call the Examination center section at (207) 624-9000, ext. 52119.
- Applicants must provide proof of Maine residency.
- Complete and submit an application form and provide two forms of identification as listed in the application form.
Maine residents holding a driver's license from another state will have to pass the vision test. The written and driving tests may be waived. However, like other applicants, new residents must provide proof of residency
. They have to then surrender their existing out-of-state driver's license. New residents can apply for a new license by mail by following the instructions in the application form
Non-US citizens residing in Maine may apply for a Maine driver's license, as long as they can provide proof that they are legally authorized to be in the United States, and meet all the other requirements. They should apply for a Maine license within 30 days of attaining residency status. Foreign visitors can drive in Maine with the home country's license for upto a year.
- The cost for a non-commercial (Class C) Maine driver's photo license for under age 65 is $30.
- The cost for a non-commercial (Class C) Maine driver's photo license for 65 years and older is $21.
- Application fee for transferring an out-of-state license is $10.
- An Examination fee of $10 may also apply.
The validity of a Maine driver's license is based on the driver's age at the time the license was issued:
- For drivers below 21, the license is provisional and valid for a period of two years.
- For drivers at least 21 years old will be first issued a provisional license valid for 1 year.
- For drivers between 21 and 65 years, the driver's license is valid for six years.
- Driver's licenses for those 65 and older are valid for four years.
With certain restrictions, an individual can legally drive in Maine with an instruction permit. See more information on instruction permits here