Pass Your DMV Test
How to Apply for a New Driver's License in Oregon
NEW DRIVERS AND FIRST TIME APPLICANTS
Following are the basic requirements for applying for an Oregon driver's license:
- Applicants must be 16 years or older.
- Any individual under 18 should provide parental consent and must complete the provisional Class C driver licensing process. For additional details, see Teen Drivers and/or Instruction Permits for Teen Drivers.
- Everyone must pass the vision, written, and driving tests for non commercial Class C driver's license. See Practice Tests and Driver's Manual for more information on the written examination. Driver education programs can help individuals prepare for their road test.
- Applicants must provide acceptable proof of identification.
- Applicants must provide proof of Oregon residency and legal presence.
- Applicants must provide a valid Social Security Number.
- Applicants must provide proof of insurance.
NEW RESIDENTSOregon residents holding a driver's license from another state will need to surrender their previous driver's license before applying for Oregon Class C driver's license.The written and/or driving tests are waived in some cases. Like other applicants, new residents must provide proof of identification, insurance, social security number, residency and presence. Non-US citizens over 16 years of age, residing in Oregon may apply for an Oregon driver's license, as long as they can provide proof that they are legally authorized to be in the United States, and meet all the other requirements. Oregon permits a non-US citizen to drive for up to one year with an International Driver's Permit in the State. Note that an Oregon driver's license issued to a foreign national will expire no later than the last date on which they are authorized to be in the United States by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service.
FEESThe cost for a non-commercial (Class C) 8-year Oregon driver's license is $59 and for Instruction permit it is $22.50.
VALIDITYThe validity of an Oregon driver's license is based on the driver's age at the time the license was issued.
- For drivers over 21, the license is valid for eight years, after which it may be renewed.
- For driver's with instruction permits, the license is valid for two years and cannot be renewed.
INSTRUCTION PERMITWith certain restrictions, an individual can legally drive in Oregon with an instruction permit. See more information on instruction permit here.
- See also Renewing Your License.
- For information on other types of licenses, see Commercial Driver's Licenses, Motorcycle Licenses.
- It is necessary to have active Auto Insurance in order to drive legally in Oregon.
- New drivers see our Driver Education, Driving Schools, Beginner Drivers and Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers sections.