Oregon law requires that motor vehicle owners must register their vehicle with the Oregon Department of Transportation (DOT) before taking it on the road. Both new and second-hand vehicles must be registered, regardless of whether they are purchased from a dealer or an individual. In addition, new Oregon residents who have registered their vehicle in another state must register their vehicle in Oregon. Both the initial vehicle registration and registration renewals can be handled in person or by mail.
You must register your vehicle within thirty days of purchase; otherwise you will be liable for late fees ranging from $25 to $50. If you've just moved to Oregon, you must register and title your vehicle immediately.
If you are registering a motor vehicle in Oregon for the first time, you must complete the following steps:
- Oregon requires you to show proof of insurance when you register your vehicle
- Collect the necessary paperwork. If you bought your vehicle from a dealer, then the dealer will have sent the necessary paperwork to the Oregon Department of Transportation. In all other circumstances you will need to collect the following additional papers:
- The current vehicle title.
- An Application for Title and Registration form.
- A Bill of Sale or Lien Release.
- An odometer reading, if the vehicle is less than ten years old.
- If you live in the Portland or Medford areas, you will need an emission certificate from the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).
- If your vehicle comes from out-of-state, you will also need a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspection certificate.
- You can register your vehicle in person by visiting your local DMV Office with your completed forms. Be prepared to show identification. You can also mail your documents and a check, payable to the Oregon DMV, to:
1905 Lana Ave. N.E.
Salem, OR 97314
in Oregon are based on a number of factors, such as whether you require specialized license plates, title transfer requirements and VIN inspection requirements.
RENEWING YOUR VEHICLE REGISTRATION
Owners of motor vehicles in Oregon are required to renew their vehicle registration annually, and can do so in person or by mail. See our Registration Renewal section
for complete details.