How to Register a Vehicle in Mississippi
Mississippi law requires that motor vehicle owners must register their vehicle with the Mississippi Department of Public Safety before taking it on the road. Both new and second-hand vehicles must be registered, regardless of whether they are purchased from a dealer or an individual. In addition, new Mississippi residents who have registered their vehicle in another state must register their vehicle in Mississippi. The initial vehicle registration must be done in person, and registration renewals must be done annually, either in person or online.
You must register a car within 7 days of taking possession of it. If you are a new resident you must do this within 30 days.
If you are registering a motor vehicle in Mississippi for the first time, you must complete the following steps:
- Complete a vehicle title/registration form which is available from your county tax office.
- Make sure you have the title or apply for a replacement.
- The current odometer disclosure if it is not on the back of the title
- A Bill of Sale.
- Visit your county tax collector's office, and bring the completed title/registration form with you and the above documents with you. In addition, you will need to provide proof of insurance
- For vehicles that have been registered in another state, you must also bring the original, out-of-state title. If the title is unavailable, bring the registration document, along with proof of sales tax payment
- Emission tests are not mandatory for vehicles in Mississippi so you do not need to have your car tested before registration.
When registering your vehicle at the county tax collector's office, you will be required to pay certain fees, typically as follows:
- The registration fee, which varies depending on the manufacturer's model year or the vehicle's total weight. The first time fee is $10.
- Title application fee.
There may be additional fees when you register, depending on your county. Contact the county tax collector's office for the specific requirements.
RENEWING YOUR VEHICLE REGISTRATION
Owners of motor vehicles in Mississippi are required to renew their vehicle registration annually, and can do so in person or online. See our Registration Renewal section for complete details.
- If you are a non-resident active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces or a non-resident full-time student attending a Mississippi college or university, you are required to title or register your vehicle.
- The process for registering a motorcycle is generally the same as a car registration; however, there are different procedures for boat registration and custom car registration.
- Auto Insurance is needed to legally operate all vehicles in Mississippi.
- See also Renewing Your Vehicle Registration.
- See also Title Transfers and Car Insurance.