How to Register a Vehicle in Arizona
Arizona law requires that motor vehicle owners must register their vehicle with the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division before taking it on the road. Both new and second-hand vehicles must be registered, regardless of whether they are purchased from a dealer or an individual. In addition, new Arizona residents who have registered their vehicle in another state must register their vehicle in Arizona. The initial vehicle registration must be done in person, and registration renewals must be done annually, either in person, online or by mail.
If you are registering a motor vehicle in Arizona for the first time, you must complete the following steps:
- Take your vehicle for emissions testing. Emissions tests must be performed at an inspection station or by an inspector that has been licensed by the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ). Find out more about vehicle inspections in Arizona, or locate an inspection station near you. Once the vehicle passes inspection, you will be issued an inspection certification.
- Get a VIN assigned and a physical inspection completed. If there are no complications, there is no fee for this inspection. Otherwise, it can range from $20 to $80.
- Complete a vehicle title/registration form.
- Visit your MVD office, and bring the completed title/registration form with you, along with the inspection certification. In addition, you will need to provide proof of insurance.
- For vehicles that have been registered in another state, you must also bring the original, out-of-state title. If the title is unavailable, bring the registration document, along with proof of sales tax payment.
REGISTRATION FEESWhen registering your vehicle at the MVD office, you will be required to pay certain fees, typically as follows:
- The registration fee is usually $8.
- Title application fee, usually $4.
- Air quality fee of $1.50.
- Standard license plates cost $5; more customized options are available for a higher fee as well.
RENEWING YOUR VEHICLE REGISTRATIONOwners of motor vehicles in Arizona are required to renew their vehicle registration annually, and can do so in person, online or by mail. See our Registration Renewal section for complete details.
- If you are a non-resident active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces, you can title and register your vehicle online, by phone at (888) 713-3031 or by mail. If using mail, send the application and a check or money order for the applicable fee to:
Motor Vehicle Division 4005 N 51st Ave Phoenix AZ 85031-2688
- The process for registering a motorcycle is generally the same as a car registration; however, there are different procedures for boat registration and custom car registration.
- Auto Insurance is needed to legally operate all vehicles in Arizona.
- See also Renewing Your Vehicle Registration.
- See also Title Transfers and Car Insurance.