How to Register a Vehicle in Florida
Florida law requires that motor vehicle owners must register their vehicle with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles before taking it on the road. Both new and second-hand vehicles must be registered, regardless of whether they are purchased from a dealer or an individual. In addition, new Florida residents who have registered their vehicle in another state must register their vehicle in Florida. The initial vehicle registration must be done in person, and registration renewals must be done annually, either in person, online or by phone.
If you are registering a motor vehicle in Florida for the first time, you must complete the following steps:
- Complete a vehicle title/registration form.
- Visit your local county tax collector's office, and bring the completed title/registration form with you, along with the vehicle safety inspection certification. In addition, you will need to provide proof of insurance, and the odometer reading, if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.
- For vehicles that have been registered in another state, you must also bring the original, out-of-state title. If the title is unavailable, bring the registration document, along with proof of sales tax payment.
- You will also need to carry the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) verification for vehicles that do not have a Florida title.
- If you have misplaced the title you will not be able to register the car. You will have to provide the Bill of Sale or ask the previous owner of the car to replace the title.
- You can register your vehicle for 12 or 24 months plus three months advance registration.
REGISTRATION FEESWhen registering your vehicle at the county tax collector's office, you will be required to pay certain fees, typically as follows:
- The registration fee, which varies depending on the manufacturer's model year or the vehicle's total weight. Generally, the registration fee will be between $27.60 and $91.20.
- Title application fee.
OUT OF STATE REGISTRATIONIf you need to register a vehicle while you are out of Florida, you will need to refer to the rate chart and complete the application for certificate of title. Mail the application to the county tax collector's office.
RENEWING YOUR VEHICLE REGISTRATIONOwners of motor vehicles in Florida are required to renew their vehicle registration annually, and can do so in person, online or by phone. See our Registration Renewal section for complete details.
- If you are a non-resident active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces or a non-resident full-time student attending a Florida college or university, you are not required to title or register your vehicle.
- The process for registering a motorcycle is generally the same as a car registration; however, there are different procedures for boat registration and custom car registration.
- Auto Insurance is needed to legally operate all vehicles in Florida.
- See also Renewing Your Vehicle Registration.
- See also Title Transfers and Car Insurance.