How to Register a Vehicle in Utah
Utah law requires that motor vehicle owners must register their vehicle with the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) before taking it on the road. Both new and second-hand vehicles must be registered, regardless of whether they are purchased from a dealer or an individual. In addition, new Utah residents who have registered their vehicle in another state must register their vehicle in Utah. The initial vehicle registration must be done in person, but registration renewals can be done in person at a DMV office or a Renewal Station or on-line.
If you move to Utah, you must register your vehicle as soon as you move to the state. Similarly, you must register your vehicle as soon as you have purchased it.
If you are registering a motor vehicle in Utah for the first time, you must complete the following steps:
- All vehicles in Utah must be insured. When you register your vehicle you must provide proof of insurance. The easiest way to do this is to obtain auto liability insurance.
- Collect the necessary paperwork. If you bought your vehicle from a dealer, then the dealer will have sent the necessary paperwork to the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles. In all other circumstances you will need to collect the following additional papers:
- A properly assigned vehicle title, assigning you as the vehicle owner.
- Your current registration - only required if you are new to Utah.
- A completed boat registration application.
- A completed Certificate of Inspection - only if you are registering the vehicle in Utah for the first time.
- An emission test certificate, if the car is less than 6 years old and will be registered in Salt Lake, Davis, Utah and Weber counties.
- Visit any DMV office with your completed forms. Note that Utah DMV offices are closed on Fridays
REGISTRATION FEESRegistration fees in Utah are based on a number of factors, such as type of the vehicle, the type of fuel it uses, where you live and whether you require specialized license plates. You can find out the particular fees that apply to your vehicle by calling the DMV at (801) 297-7780 or 1-800-DMV-UTAH (800-368-8824) or by visiting a DMV office.
RENEWING YOUR VEHICLE REGISTRATIONOwners of motor vehicles in Utah are required to renew their vehicle registration annually, and can do so in person or online. See our Registration Renewal section for complete details.
- The process for registering a motorcycle is generally the same as a car registration. However, there are no emission control requirements for motorcycles.
- There are different procedures for boat registration and custom car registration.
- Auto Insurance is needed to legally operate all vehicles in Utah.
- See also Renewing Your Vehicle Registration.
- See also Title Transfers and Car Insurance.