You can apply for a new driver's license at any Motor Vehicle Administration Office in Maryland. Obtain a Maryland Driver's Handbook to familiarize with the driving rules and regulations.
NEW DRIVERS AND FIRST TIME APPLICANTS
Following are the basic requirements for applying for a Maryland driver's license:
- Applicants must be 15 years and nine months old. Please bring a proof of age.
- Any individual under 18 should provide parental consent and must complete the graduated driver licensing process. For additional details, see Beginner Drivers and/or Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers.
- Everyone must pass the vision, written and driving tests. See Practice Tests and Driver's Handbook for more information on the written examination. Driver education programs can help individuals prepare for their road test.
- Applicants must provide acceptable proof of legal presence.
- Applicants must provide two documentary proofs of Maryland proper identification.
- A social security number or in lieu a self certification document will be required.
Maryland residents holding a driver's license from another state have to apply for a Maryland license within 60 days. An Out-of-State license can be exchanged but it must be valid or should have expired for less than one year. The applicant may also need to pass the three tests. The written and/or driving tests may have to be taken if the Out-of-State license has expired for more than one year. However, like other applicants, new residents must provide proof of identification and residency
. Again, a social security number or in its absence a self certification document must be submitted.
Non-US citizens residing in Maryland and having a license from their countries can drive in Maryland. It is important to always carry your license with you. You may also apply for a Maryland driver's license, as long as you can provide proof that you are legally authorized to be in the United States, and meet all the other requirements. The applicant will have to take the standard tests.
Note that a Maryland driver's license issued to a foreign national will expire no later than the last date on which they are authorized to be in the United States by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service. As a first step, schedule an appointment at the regional MVA office by calling 1-866-691-2778. If the applicant has a valid Employment Authorization Card, or a valid passport with a valid United States visa and valid I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record), or a valid Permanent Resident Card (I-551), then it is not obligatory to make an appointment and the applicant may visit any full service MVA office (Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. or Saturday 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.).
The cost for a non-commercial new Maryland driver's license is $45.
With certain restrictions, an individual can legally drive in Maryland with a learner's permit. See more information on learner's permit here