A Louisiana Driver's License can be renewed online, by telephone, by mail or in person at the local Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV).
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Louisiana driver's license has a validity of four years and generally expires on your birthday. You will receive a renewal notice about 100 days prior to expiration.
- It is advisable to renew your license before expiration. If you do it 10 days after expiration you will be charged a late fee of $15. You can renew your license up to 180 days prior to expiration date.
- If your license expired more than a year ago, you have to take the written test and if it expired more than 2 years ago, you have to take the written and driving tests for renewal.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You need to bring:
- Your expiring driver's license and proof of insurance if you own a vehicle.
- The renewal fee of $24.50 or $15.50 for applicants 70 years and older (the total fees may vary at the local office) payable in cash, cashiers check or money order.
You need to take a vision test.
TO RENEW OVER TELEPHONE
Your renewal notice will tell you if you are eligible to renew your license over the telephone, internet or by mail. The proper procedures will be listed on the notice.
- To renew by phone just dial 1-888-956-5111 and follow instructions.
- You need a valid credit card or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express) to make the payment.
TO RENEW ONLINE
To renew online
just go to the online renewal site and follow instructions.
- Your computer generated mail-in renewal invitation.
- Your photo Louisiana driver's license handy.
- Valid credit card for payment (Visa, Master card, Discover or American Express)
An e-commerce State Charge is also levied for those renewing online.
In case of a name or address change, you have to renew in person.
TO RENEW OVER MAIL
- Renewal of license by mail requires you to download the Application for License. for the same.
- A personal check, money order or cashier's check ($24.50 for Class E renewal) made payable to the Office of Motor Vehicles.
Mail all documents to:
Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV)
Vehicle Renewal Mail-In Unit
P.O. Box 64886
Baton Rouge, LA 70896