How to Renew a Driver's License in New Hampshire
A New Hampshire Driver's License can be renewed in person at any of the 18 driver licensing substations in the State. License holders with a Visa Card or an Employment Authorization Document are required to visit the DMV headquarters in Concord for a renewal.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your New Hampshire driver's license will generally expire on your birthday, every four years. The expiration year depends on your age when the expiring license was issued or last renewed.
- It is advisable to renew your driver's license before the birthday on which it will expire. You can renew your license any time in the two months leading up to its expiration.
- Your driving privileges expire on the midnight of your birthday if you do not renew. However, you will still have an additional one year to renew your license.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- Your expiring license.
- Renewal application (DSMV 450), which is the same as the original license form.
- If your name and/or address have changed, documentation of the name change is required.
- Renewal fee of $50 to $58, depending on the type of vehicle, payable by cash, check or an acceptable credit card.
You are required to take an Eye exam every time you renew your license.
TO RENEW BY MAIL
Renewal by mail is available only to residents who happen to be out of state when their license expires and to military personnel. When you renew by mail, you should prepare and/or complete:
- The renewal application form.
- For the eye exam requirement, you may get the Vision Re-examination form (DSMV 125) filled out by an eye doctor.
- A money order for the renewal fee.
Mail all the documents to:
Department of Safety
Division of Motor Vehicles
23 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305
The renewed driver's license will arrive by mail within four to six weeks.
- Note that New Hampshire does not currently offer driver's license renewal online.
- Renewal by mail is only available to out of state residents and military personnel.
- See also Renewing a Commercial Driver's License.
- See also How to Apply for a New License or How to Replace a Lost License.
- See also Registration Renewal.