How to Renew a Driver's License in Connecticut
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- The Connecticut DMV will send you a renewal notice prior to the license expiration date. Licenses can be renewed up to 120 days prior to the expiration date.
- Connecticut driver's licenses are usually valid for six years. However, for persons over 65, renewal is valid only for two years.
- If your license expires, you may renew anytime up to two years and this will be considered a normal renewal, although you cannot drive when your license is expired. If two years have lapsed since the expiration, you have to follow steps to apply for a new driver's license. For persons below 18 years of age, follow these steps to obtain a new license.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- Your expiring license or Proof of Identity if the expiring license is not available, along with a renewal application form to the appropriate location.
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required.
- You will pay a fee of $22 for a two-year license renewal and $66 for a six-year renewal. See acceptable forms of payment here.
- For exceptions to renewal at AAA offices, see detailed information here.
TO RENEW BY MAIL
- Renewal by mail is available only to Connecticut residents who are temporarily out of the country or state and cannot come personally to a DMV office to renew their license. If the DMV does not have your photo on file, you cannot renew by mail and need to come in person for license renewal. If you have residency from another state, you cannot renew a Connecticut driver's license.
- If you qualify to renew by mail, you should obtain a license renewal application from the DMV after providing details such as name, date of birth, address, license number, social security number, phone number and out of state/country address.
- Military personnel can follow the instructions given here for renewal by mail.
Mail the signed application along with the fee (check) to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
License Processing Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161-5041.