A Maine Driver's License can be renewed either in person at any Motor Vehicle Branch Office in the State, or online.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Maine driver's license will generally expire on your birthday. The expiration year depends on your age, if it is your first license, and when the expiring license was issued or last renewed:
Driver's Age at License
Issue or Last RenewalValidity of License
Under 21 (first license)license valid for 2 years
21 and older (first license)license valid for 1 year
22-64(not first license)license valid for 6 years
65 and olderlicense valid for 4 years
Some eligible license holders can renew license for 8 years. (Contact a BMV office for more detail or e-mail at email@example.com )
- It is advisable to renew your driver's license before the birthday on which it will expire. You will receive a renewal notification about 45 days prior to expiration date.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- Your expiring license and proof of residency.
- If your name has changed, documentation is required (court order, marriage certificate etc).
- Renewal fee of $30 for 6-year, $40 for 8-year and $21 for 4-year license.
- Your renewal notice from the BMV.
You might need to have your vision tested. (You need a vision test on attaining 40 years of age and after that once every second renewal until you reach the age of 62. After that you will have to have your vision tested every renewal period.)
TO RENEW ONLINE
Renewal can be done online
if you have a class C digital photo license and you made your last renewal at a BMV office.
You will need:
- Your current driver's license.
- Social security number
- A valid credit card to pay the renewal fee
Any changes in name or address must be made in person at the nearest BMV office
. The renewed driver's license will arrive by mail within two to three weeks.