How to Renew a Driver's License in California
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
Your California driver's license expires every four years.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- A filled in form DL 44 or DL44C in original, available at all locations or can be mailed on request by calling (800) 777-0133.
- Commercial driver license holders require to complete the 10 year history record check form (DL 939) if renewing in person. Commercial drivers also need to submit a medical Certificate Card (DL 51A).
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required along with proof of a true name.
- Appropriate renewal fee, payable by cash, check or ATM card (credit cards are not accepted).
Additional Notes:You will be required to give a thumb print, have a picture taken and pass the vision exam. If your renewal notice states that you must take a written test, then you must take the traffic laws and signs test as well. You can also schedule an appointment to speed up the process. You will receive an interim license valid for 60 days. The DMV will send your new one in the mail, failing to receive which within 60 days you can call DMV at (800) 777-0133.
TO RENEW VIA THE INTERNETYou may renew your driver license online only if you receive a renewal notice in the mail. You will require:
- A Renewal Identification Number as stated on the renewal notice.
- A verified Social Security number on file with the DMV.
- The same address as on the expired license.
- Have one of the acceptable credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover) handy or an e-check.
TO RENEW BY MAILRenewal by mail is available only to residents who meet the following requirements:
- Your license must not be expiring in the next 60 days.
- You must be under the age of 70 upon the expiration date.
- You must have no suspension or driving probation on your license.
- You must not have violated a written order to appear in court in the last two years.
- You should not have more than two consecutive five-year extensions on your license processed via mail.
- You should not possess a driver's license from another state.
- Form DL 410 FQ (California Driver License Renewal by Mail Eligibility Information)
- A check with the appropriate renewal fee.
Department of Motor Vehicles ATTN: Renewal By Mail Unit PO Box 942890 Sacramento, CA 94290-0001.