A New York Driver's License can be renewed online, by mail or in person at any DMV office in the State.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your New York driver's license will generally expire on your birthday. The expiration year depends on your age when the expiring license was issued or last renewed.
- It is advisable to renew your driver's license before the birthday on which it will expire. You can renew your license any time in the year leading up to its expiration.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- A completed renewal application form (MV-44).
- Renewal fee, payable by cash, check or credit card.
- Form MV-619 completed by an eye-care professional, or you will be required to take a vision test.
TO RENEW VIA THE INTERNET
You may renew your license online
up to a year before expiration or within two years after expiration. You cannot renew online if your driving privileges are suspended/revoked or if you do not meet the eligibility criteria
To renew online, you will need:
- Client ID Number and Document Number as stated on your current license.
- Date of birth, Social Security number and zip code.
- Form MV-619 completed by an eye care professional (Vision test).
- A valid e-mail address where you will receive confirmation of renewal.
- A Credit card (Visa, American Express, MasterCard or Discover) to make the payment.
Note: You cannot change your address online.
It can take up to four weeks for you to receive your license by mail.
TO RENEW BY U.S. MAIL
When you renew by mail, you should prepare and/or complete:
- Two mail renewal application forms:
- MV-44, renewal application.
- MV-619 or proof of a vision test from another state.
- Copies of proof of identification.
- A money order or check for the renewal fee.
Mail all the documents to:
DMV License Production Bureau
P.O. Box 2688-ESP
Albany, NY 12220-0668.
The renewed driver's license will arrive by mail within four to six weeks. If you wish to receive it faster, include a pre-paid, pre-addressed express mail package with your application.