A Texas Driver's License can be renewed online, by phone, by mail or in person at any Driver's License Office in the State.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Texas driver's license's expiration depends on your age when the expiring license was issued or renewed:
Driver's Age at License Issue or Last Renewal / Validity of License
under 18 expires on next birthday
18-84 license valid for 6 years
85 and older license expires second birthday after application date
- You can renew your Texas license up to a year prior to its expiration.
- You will receive a renewal notice about 6 weeks before your license expires.
- Texas does not have a grace period, so it is advisable to renew your license before it expires.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- Your current driver's license or proof of identity.
- Your Social Security Number.
- Renewal fee (By age):
- Under 18 years of age - $5
- 18 to 84 years of age - $24
- 85 years or older - $8
You also need to pass the vision test, and if you are under the age of 18, you must also present a Verification of Enrolment and Attendance (VOE) (CDD-104) form, high school diploma or GED.
TO RENEW BY PHONE OR ONLINE
In order to renew your license online or by phone you must meet the following criteria:
- Your last renewal was done in person.
- Your license expires within a year.
- Your license did not expire more than two years ago.
- You do not hold a commercial driver's license.
- There is no change in your name. (You can change your address online or by phone)
- Your mental and physical condition, as well as vision have not changed since your last renewal and would not hamper your ability to drive a vehicle.
- Your license hasn't been suspended, revoked or cancelled and you do not have outstanding tickets or warrants.
- You are a Texas resident.
To renew your driver's license online, visit the Driver License and ID card online services
website of the Texas Department of Public Safety.
To renew by phone just call (866) 357-3639.
- Keep your Social Security Number and your current Texas driver's license handy.
- You need a credit card (Visa, Master card, Discover or American Express card) to pay for the renewal.
An additional $1 (apart from the $24 fee) is charged for online and telephone renewals.
TO RENEW BY MAIL
The criteria for eligibility to renew by mail are the same as those for online and telephone renewal.
The Texas Department of Public Safety gives military as well as non-military residents the option to renew their license by mail even if out of state.
In order to renew by mail, you have to submit
- Your full name, Texas driver's license number and current mailing address to email@example.com or call (512) 424-2600.
- You will also need to submit proof of Social Security Number.
- Eye test results at a local driver's license office or by a doctor on DL63 form.
- If you are applying for a class A or B non-CDL, you need to submit a CDL-2 form.
- If renewing your License from out of state or country then you also need to submit Scan card (LI 50)
- Applicable fee by way of a check or money order made payable to Texas Department of Public Safety.
All documents need to be mailed to:
Texas Department of Public Safety
P. O. Box 15999
The renewed license should reach you in 4 to 6 weeks.