A Montana Driver's License can be renewed either in person at any driver exam station in the State, or by mail.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Montana driver's license will generally expire on your birthday. The expiration year depends on your age when the expiring license was issued or last renewed:
Driver's Age at License
Issue or Last RenewalValidity of License
under 21license expires on 21st birthday
21-67license valid for 8 years (four years if last renewed by mail)
68-74license expires on 75th birthday
75 and olderlicense valid for 4 years
- It is advisable to renew your driver's license before the birthday on which it will expire. You can renew your license any time in the six months leading up to its expiration.
- Your driving privileges expire on midnight of your birthday if you do not renew. However, you will still have an additional three months to renew your license without any additional testing requirements.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- Your expiring license or proper identification if the expiring license is not available
- If your name has changed, documentation of the Name change documentation is required.
- Renewal fee of $40.50, payable by cash or check (credit cards not accepted). In some rural locations where licensing services are limited, a pre-paid receipt from the county treasurer's office is required instead.
You will be issued a temporary license at the driver exam station, after which the renewed license will arrive by mail within four to six weeks.
TO RENEW BY MAIL
Renewal by mail is available only to residents of the following counties that do not offer driver license services: Carter, Garfield, Golden Valley, Jefferson, Judith Basin, Madison, Petroleum, Prairie, Treasure and Wibaux. For drivers in these counties, the renewal can be completed by mail, but the subsequent renewal should be done at a driver exam station.
When you renew by mail, you should prepare and/or complete:
- Three mail renewal application forms:
- Class D Driver License Mail Renewal Application #21-1900(B)
- Medical Evaluation for Driver License Mail Renewal Application #20-1900(B), completed by a physician
- Report of Eye Examination Application #22-1801(B), completed by an eye specialist
- Name change documentation, if required.
- A money order ($40.50 for a regular eight-year license), or a photocopy of your pre-paid county receipt, obtained from a county treasurer's office.
- A self-addressed and stamped envelope for the return of the receipt, which can be used as a temporary driver's license.
Mail all the documents to:
Motor Vehicle Division
Montana Department of Justice
303 N. Roberts
P.O. Box 201430
Helena, MT 59620-1430
The renewed driver's license will arrive by mail within four to six weeks.