How to Renew a Driver's License in Iowa
An Iowa Driver's License can be renewed in person at any driver license station in the State.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Iowa driver's license is valid for five years and will generally expire on your birthday. (If you are above 70 or below 18 years of age you are only issued a two year license).
- An Iowa license is valid for another 60 days after expiry. It is advisable to renew your driver's license before the 60 day grace period is over, as after that you will have to take the knowledge test again.
- You can renew your license 30 days prior to expiration. (You may even renew it up to a year prior to expiration, but then you will have to explain your reasons).
- If you are renewing more than a year after your license expired, then you have to take the knowledge test, vision screening and the driving test.
TO RENEW IN PERSONYou must bring:
- Your expiring license or proof of identification if the expiring license is not available.
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required.
- Appropriate renewal fee, payable by cash or check (credit or debit cards not accepted).
A vision screen is required for renewal.Note: If you are temporarily out-of-state, an extension not to exceed six months can be requested by mailing [ An Application for Temporary Extension of Motor Vehicle License Form # 430027] to the address given below.
Iowa Department of Transportation Office of Driver Services P O Box 9204 Des Moines, IA 50306-9204 Telephone: (515) 244-8725 Fax: (515) 239-1837