How to Renew a Driver's License in Massachusetts
A Massachusetts Driver's License can be renewed either online or in person at any Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles full service office or a license express office.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Massachusetts driver's license is valid for five years and expires on your birthday. The Massachusetts RMV usually sends you a renewal form about 60 days prior to the expiry date.
- It is advisable to renew your driver's license before the birthday on which it will expire. You can renew your license up to a year leading up to its expiration.
TO RENEW IN PERSONYou must:
- Bring a completed application form.
- Bring your current license.
- Pass a vision screening test.
- Provide your SSN or updated Social Security Denial Notice (not more than 30 days old)
- Pay the renewal fee 0f $40 (at limited service branches you can only pay by check or credit card).
TO RENEW ONLINEYou can renew your Massachusetts driver license online, but only every other renewal period, i.e., only every ten years. You will need a valid e-mail address, your current driver's license and appropriate documentation to renew online. Payment can be charged to your Visa, MasterCard or Discover. You are not eligible for online renewal if:
- Your license photo is more than nine years old or was taken before your 21st birthday.
- You do not have an SSN.
- You hold a commercial driver's license.
- You have initiated an online Change of Address transaction but have not received a confirmation e-mail yet.
- You need to change your name.
- You want to change your organ donor status as indicated on your current license.
- You want to register to vote.
- Your license is currently under suspension or has been revoked in any other state.
- You have a medical condition which may affect your ability to safely drive a motor vehicle. For more information refer to the medical affairs section of the RMV website.