How to Renew a Driver's License in South Carolina
A South Carolina Driver's License can be renewed online, in person at the local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Office in the State, online or by mail.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your South Carolina driver's license will generally expire on your birthday. For those under 65 years of age the license is valid for five or ten years, and for those 65 or older, the license is valid for five years.
- Whether you are issued a five or ten-year license depends on the mode of renewal.
- It is advisable to renew your driver's license before the birthday on which it will expire. You can renew your driver's license within nine months of expiration date.
TO RENEW IN PERSONYou must bring:
- Your expiring license or Proof of Identity if the expiring license is not available
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required.
- Proof of liability insurance.
- If you are not a US citizen, you must provide proof of identity, residence and legal presence as listed in this document.
- Renewal fee of $25 is required for ten-year renewal and $12.50 for a five-year renewal. Cash, checks, credit and debit cards are accepted at the DMV offices.
TO RENEW ONLINEYou can renew online only if you are a US citizen, below 65 years of age and you did not renew online or by mail during the previous renewal. Other online renewal eligibility criteria include:
- Your license has not been expired for more than nine months.
- Your vehicle insurance information is in place and up to date.
- You do not have a suspended license.
- Your driving record does not show more than five points in the previous two years.
- Visit the South Carolina DMV online services website.
- Provide your driver license number, Social Security Number and date of birth.
- Have a valid Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit or debit card handy.
TO RENEW BY MAILThe eligibility criteria for renewal by mail are the same as that for online renewal, except that there is no age limit. All renewals done by mail are also only five-year renewals.
- To renew via mail, you need to fill in an application form, include a certificate of eye exam from a licensed specialist and a check for the renewal fee of $12.50. Mail the documents to:
South Carolina DMV Post Office Box 1498 Blythewood, SC 29016-0055