How to Renew a Driver's License in Minnesota
A Minnesota Driver's License can be renewed in person at any Driver and Vehicle Service location in the state.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Minnesota driver's license will generally expire on your birthday. The license expires on your fourth birthday after issuance or renewal.
- The renewal process includes taking a vision test and a new photograph.
TO RENEW IN PERSONYou must bring:
- Your expiring Minnesota driving license or proof of ID if the expiring license is not available.
- If your name has changed, documentation like marriage certificate, certified divorce or dissolution of marriage decree, or other certified court orders mentioning such a change will be required.
- An application form needs to be filled in with the Social Security Number on it. The form is available only at the driver license offices.
- The renewal fee of $24, payable in cash or a personal check.