How to Renew a Driver's License in Maryland
A Maryland Driver's License can be renewed either in person at any MVA Office in the State, or by mail.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- A Maryland driver's license normally has a validity of 5 years from the date of issue.
- You will receive a reminder postcard approximately 60 days before the expiration date.
- If your license expired more than a year ago, you have to take the written test and the driving tests again to get a license.
TO RENEW IN PERSONYou must bring:
- The reminder card.
- Your expiring driver's license.
- Social security number.
- The renewal fee of $30. This can be paid by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) or personalized check (with driver license number and a phone number) made payable to Motor Vehicle Administration.
Your new license will arrive by mail within two weeks.
TO RENEW BY MAILYou can renew your license by mail if you receive the "renew by mail" package from the MVA. You are eligible for renewal by mail if:
- You do not have any physical or mental disability that may affect your driving.
- Your license was not suspended, revoked, cancelled or disqualified anywhere in the U.S.
- Your current driver's license is not a provisional one or one without a photo.
- You renewed in person the last time.
- Your name and address printed on the renewal application is correct.