A Washington State driver's License can be renewed either in person at any driver licensing office in the State, online, or by mail (only available for residents who are temporarily out-of-state).
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Washington driver's license will generally expire on your birthday. The expiration year will generally be five years from the year the license was issued or last renewed.
- It is advisable to renew your driver's license before the birthday on which it will expire. You can renew your license any time in the three months leading up to its expiration.
- You will have to take a vision test and you may be asked to take other tests.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- Your expiring license or Proof of Identity if the expiring license is not available.
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required.
- Proof of residence, if required.
- Renewal fee of $45, payable by cash, check, money order or traveler's check (credit cards not accepted). An additional $10 will be charged if your license has been expired for more than 60 days.
If you have an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), you can only renew in person by visiting an EDL office. The renewal fee for an EDL is $45.
TO RENEW ONLINE
You can renew online only if your license was issued on or after 1 September 2001, and your previous renewal was done in person. In addition you cannot renew if you changed addresses within six weeks of the expiration date on your license. If you are eligible to renew online, you will receive a renewal notice with an online authorization number.
To renew online:
- Visit the Washington State online services website.
- Have your authorization number and a credit/debit card (Visa or MasterCard) handy.
TO RENEW BY MAIL
If you are out-of-state when your license is due for renewal and will not return to Washington for at least a year, you can apply for a five year license by mail.
- Complete the Driver License Replacement/Renewal Request form.
- Mail the form along with a check or money order ($25 for renewal of the basic license) and any required certifications to:
Driver Licensing Services Office
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9048
Olympia, WA 98507-9048
You can also choose to request a 12-month extension to your license instead by mailing the extension request form.