How to Renew a Driver's License in Virginia
A Virginia Driver's License can be renewed either in person at any DMV customer service center in the State, by telephone, online, or by mail. The DMV will send you a notice before your license expires, stating your eligibility for the various methods of renewal.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Virginia driver's license will generally expire on your birthday, and is usually valid for eight years. If you are 16 or 17 years old, it will expire on your 20th birthday. If you are listed in the Virginia State Police Sex Offender and Crimes Against Children registry, your license will be valid for five years.
- It is advisable to renew your driver's license before the birthday on which it will expire. You can renew your license any time in the six months leading up to its expiration.
- Your driving privileges expire on midnight of your birthday if you do not renew. However, you will still have an additional one year to renew your license without any additional testing requirements.
- If you are under 20 years old when renewing and have any traffic convictions, you will be required to take the knowledge tests.
TO RENEW IN PERSONYou must renew in person at least every alternate renewal period. You must also renew in person if you have to prove legal presence, if your license has expired or any of these conditions apply. To renew in person, you must bring:
- Your expiring license or proof of identity if the expiring license is not available.
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required.
- Proof of legal presence is required if your license has expired or if you are a non-US citizen.
- The renewal fee of $4 per year. For example, an 8-year driver's license with no endorsements costs $32. You may pay your fees with cash, money order, check, check card or major credit card.
TO RENEW BY MAILYou cannot renew your license by mail if these conditions apply. To renew by mail:
- Check the renewal application received in the mail for any errors. For corrections call DMV toll free at 1-866-DMVLINE (1-866-368-5463) or 1-800-435-5137.
- Complete the application and sign it.
- Mail it along with your payment to:
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles P.O. Box 26506 Richmond, VA 23260-6506
TO RENEW ONLINE:You cannot renew your license online if these conditions apply. To renew online:
- Visit the Virginia online services website.
- Enter the PIN that you received in the renewal notice mailed to you, and follow instructions.
- Have a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover), debit card (Visa or MasterCard) or your checking account number and bank routing number handy to pay for the renewal.
TO RENEW BY TELEPHONE:You cannot renew your license by telephone if these conditions apply. To renew by telephone using a touchtone phone:
- Check the renewal application received in the mail for any errors. For corrections only, call DMV toll free at 1-866-DMVLINE (1-866-368-5463) or 1-800-435-5137.
- Have the renewal application received in the mail and a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover) handy.
- Dial 1-888-337-4782 and follow instructions to renew your license.