How to Renew a Driver's License in North Carolina
A North Carolina Driver's License can be renewed in person at a Driver's License office located near you.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your license will expire on your birthday depending upon your age at time of
Age at Time of Issuance Duration
- 18-65 - 8 years
- 66 and older - 5 years
- In no event shall a license expire later than the authorization for the applicant's legal presence in the United States.
- The NC Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will send you a renewal notice 60 days prior to the expiration date.
TO RENEW IN PERSONYou must bring the following to a DMV office near you:
- Your expiring license or two identity documents if the expiring license is not available.
- Your Social Security Number.
- Renewal fee depending on type of license (usually $4 per year but could vary depending on validity).
Division of Motor Vehicles 3148 Mail Service Center Raleigh, NC 27699-3148
TO RENEW ONLINE
To renew North Carolina driver's licenses online, you will need to visit the online system. Make sure to have the following ready:
- Your valid, unexpired, regular Class C NC Driver License & the last four digits of your Social Security Number.
- A valid email address for an electronic copy of your receipt.
- A Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit or check card. No other forms of payment are accepted for online transactions.
Keep the following in mind when applying for an online driver's license renewal:
- Temporary driving certificates must be applied for at a local NC DMV office.
- You can not operate a motor vehicle with the receipt from an online transaction.
- You can not use the online renewal service if you have a restriction other than Corrective Lenses on your Driver License.
- You can not renew a Commercial Driver License (CDL) or State ID card with the online renewal service.