How to Renew a Driver's License in North Carolina
A North Carolina Driver's License can be renewed in person at a Driver's License office located near you.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your North Carolina driver's license will generally expire on your birthday. The expiration year depends on your age when the expiring license was issued or renewed. (An eight year license is issued to people between ages 18-53 and a five year license to those over 54 years).
- The NC Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will send you a renewal notice 60 days prior to the expiration date.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring the following to a DMV office near you:
- Your expiring license or two identity documents if the expiring license is not available.
- Your Social Security Number.
- Renewal fee depending on type of license (usually $4 per year but could vary depending on validity).
You need to take a vision test and a test to check your familiarity with the traffic rule and signs. A road test may be required if the Examiner feels it is warranted.
Note: Renewal by mail is permitted in some cases if you are a North Carolina resident temporarily out of state for over a period of 30 days, or if your spouse or you are on active military duty.
For more information contact a DMV office or write to:
Division of Motor Vehicles
3148 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-3148