How to Renew a Driver's License in Alabama
An Alabama Driver's License can be renewed either in person at any local driver's license office in the State, or by mail.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Alabama driver's license normally comes up for renewal every four years from the date of issue.
- You can renew your driver's license up to 60 days prior to date of expiration. Alabama also gives you a 60 day grace period after expiration to renew your license.
TO RENEW IN PERSONYou must bring:
- Your expiring license.
- Acceptable proof of identity.
- Renewal fee is usually $23.
TO RENEW BY MAILRenewal by mail is available to residents who happen to be temporarily out of state.
- Download and complete the renewal form available online at the Alabama Department of Public Safety.
- Mail it to the address given below along with a money order for $23, and required documents which should include the applicant's full name, date of birth, social security number and out-of-state address. Valid documentation stating the purpose of being out of state should also be provided.
Driver License Division, P.O. Box 1471, Montgomery, Alabama 36102-1471