How to Replace a Vehicle Registration in Alabama
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT REGISTRATION CARD
You can apply for a replacement registration card if your card is lost, stolen, or damaged by following these steps:
- Visit your local county's Motor Vehicle Title and Tag Office.
- If your current registration card has been damaged, attach the damaged card to the application.
- If your registration card was stolen, file a police report and take a copy to the office.
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT LICENSE PLATES/STICKERSIf one or both of your license plates or stickers are lost, stolen, or damaged, you must apply for replacement plate(s) immediately. You can obtain replacement plates in person only.
- Complete the application for replacement plates, available with your local county's Motor Vehicle Title and Tag Office.
- Bring the damaged plate(s) with you, if you still have them.
- If your license plates were stolen, file a police report and take the copy to the office.
- Bring your valid Alabama driver's license or State identification card. If you do not have a driver's license or ID card, others forms of identification may be acceptable.
- Pay the appropriate fee for replacement license plates. Check with your local county's Motor Vehicle Title and Tag Office on the exact amount.