SR-22 Auto Insurance Forms and Quotes
- 1Enter your zip code below
- 2Select an insurance company
- 3Compare additional quotes and SAVE!
Save on SR-22 Insurance - Quotes from
Filing the SR-22 Insurance Form
WHAT IS AN SR-22 FORM?
There are two different types of SR-22 forms:
- The Operator's (Non-Owner) Certificate covers the financial responsibility in the case the motorist does not own a vehicle.
- The Owner's Certificate covers the financial responsibility for vehicles owned by the motorist.
WHEN IS SR-22 REQUIRED?The SR-22 financial responsibility Insurance form is required in the following cases:
- If you have any safety responsibility suspensions. For example, if an uninsured driver was involved in an accident in the past but did not pay the requisite compensation then he or she needs to fill the SR-22.
- If you have any unsatisfied judgment suspensions. For example, if a driver involved in an accident in the past has an unsatisfactory judgment entered against him then he or she needs to fill the SR-22.
- In case of revocations of license.
- In the case of mandatory insurance supervisions.
- For individuals who have been classified as high risk drivers as a result of their reckless driving and driving under influence (DUI).
FILING FOR THE SR-22
- Contact a state-authorized insurance agency to request for a SR-22 filing.
- Pay the correct processing fee to the agency. The fee amount may vary between agencies. You can request an insurance quote from our Alabama auto insurance page and companies such as Esurance will allow you to request an SR-22 filing automatically.
- As per the State laws of Alabama, the minimum amount of coverage should be $20,000 for one person killed or injured, $40,000 for two or more persons killed or injured and $10,000 for property damage.
- The agency will then submit the form with the Department of Public Safety.
- The SR-22 has to be maintained for a minimum period of 36 months and can go upto five years. However, if it is maintained for 36 months without any additional violations you may not be required to carry it anymore. If the motorist does not renew it before the expiration date the agency notifies the State. The State may then suspend the driving record of the motorist until the insurance is reinstated. So it is advisable to renew the SR-22 in advance.
FOR OUT OF STATE RESIDENTSIn case you move to another state, the requirements of your new state of residence will be applicable to you. Contact your insurance company for more information.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONThe motorist can file a surety bond or a real estate bond approved by a court of record as an alternative option of indicating financial responsibility. A motor vehicle liability bond shall not be of an amount less than $50,000.
- For related information, see Auto Insurance, DUI/ DWI Lawyers, DUI/DWI Information and Suspended License.
- With effect from 1st September 2008 the mandatory minimum coverage is slated to go upto $25,000 for one person injured/killed, $50,000 for two or more persons injured/killed and $25,000 for property damage.