SR-22 Auto Insurance Forms and Quotes
- 1Enter your zip code below
- 2Select an insurance company
- 3Compare additional quotes and SAVE!
SR 22 Forms - California Financial Responsibility Insurance
WHAT IS AN SR-22 FORM
An SR-22 form is a document that helps the DMV and the state of California ensure that motorists are financially responsible for their driving. Certain drivers are deemed to be at risk because of past violations (as listed below) and are therefore required to file an SR-22 form with their auto insurance company. The auto insurance company will keep record of the SR-22 as well as providing the motorist and the state DMV with a copy.
In the state of California there are three different types of SR 22 forms:
- An Operator's Policy Certificate which covers the financial responsibility in the case the motorist does not own a vehicle.
- An Owner's Policy Certificate that covers the financial responsibility for vehicles owned by the motorist.
- A Broad Coverage Policy Certificate covers financial responsibility for all the vehicles that are owned or not owned by the motorist.
WHEN IS AN SR 22 REQUIRED?The SR-22 financial responsibility insurance form is required for specific drivers in California. The form(s) may be required for the following reasons:
- If you have any safety responsibility suspensions. For example, if you were an uninsured driver and were involved in an accident in the past but did not pay the requisite compensation.
- If you have any unsatisfied judgment suspensions. For example, if you, as a driver were involved in an accident in the past and then you had an unsatisfactory judgment entered against you.
- If you have a restricted license.
- If you have had your license revocated.
- For individuals convicted of DUI.
FILING FOR AN SR 22 FORM
- Contact a DMV-authorized auto insurance agency or broker to request for a SR-22 filing.
- Pay the correct processing fee to the agency. The fee amount may vary between agencies. You can request an insurance quote from our California auto insurance page and where we offer quotes from companies who will allow you to request an SR 22 filing automatically. This can all be done online and will often allow you to save on auto insurance rates.
- As per the State laws of California, the minimum amount of coverage for one accident should be $15,000 for one person killed or injured, $30,000 for two or more persons killed or injured and $5,000 for property damage.
- Upon receiving the request from the agent the central office then sends the SR-22 directly to the DMV in about 30 days.
- If accepted, you will receive the SR-22 from the agency along with a letter from the DMV.
- The SR-22 has to be maintained for a minimum period of 36 months. If this is not done, the DMV may suspend the driving record of the motorist until the insurance is reinstated.
FOR OUT OF STATE RESIDENTSIn case you move to another state, the requirements of your new state of residence will be applicable to you. Contact your insurance company for more information.
- An amount of $35,000 in cash or as a surety bond may be deposited with the DMV in place of liability insurance.
- DMV-approved self-insurance is also considered adequate proof of financial responsibility.