is a privately-owned website and is not affiliated with government agencies.

SR-22 Auto Insurance Forms and Quotes


  • 1Enter your zip code below
  • 2Select an insurance company
  • 3Compare additional quotes and SAVE!
Save on SR-22 Insurance - Quotes from
Start here

Filing the Iowa SR-22 Insurance Form

The state of Iowa uses the SR-22 form to help protect its citizens against problem drivers by monitoring their insurance. It requires the auto insurance company to file the SR-22 form as a proof of a problem driver's financial responsibility, stating that his/her auto insurance liability is in effect. The state does not send notifications and it is the responsibility of the driver and the auto insurance company to submit the form as well as the renewals, to the state, if required.


There are three different types of SR-22 forms:

  1. The Operator's Certificate covers the financial responsibility in the case the motorist does not own a vehicle.
  2. The Owner's Certificate covers the financial responsibility for vehicles owned by the motorist.
  3. The Operators-Owners Certificate covers financial responsibility for all the vehicles that are owned or non-owned by the motorist.


The SR-22 financial responsibility Insurance form is required in the following cases:
  1. If you have any safety responsibility suspensions. For example, if an uninsured driver was involved in an accident in the past but did not pay the requisite compensation then he or she needs to fill the SR-22.
  2. If you have any unsatisfied judgment suspensions. For example, if a driver involved in an accident in the past has an unsatisfactory judgment entered against him then he or she needs to fill the SR-22.
  3. In case of revocations of license.
  4. For individuals who have been convicted of six or more moving violations in a period of 2 years, or have accumulated six or more demerit points in this period.
  5. Any conviction for driving under the influence (DUI) or drugs or alcohol.


  1. Contact a state-authorized insurance agency to request for a SR-22 filing.
  2. Pay the correct processing fee to the agency. The fee amount may vary between agencies. You can request an insurance quote from our Iowa auto insurance page and companies such as Esurance will allow you to request an SR-22 filing automatically.
  3. As per the State laws of Iowa, the minimum amount of coverage should be $20,000 for one person killed or injured, $40,000 for two or more persons killed or injured and $15,000 for property damage.
  4. Once the SR-22 form has been prepared, you can submit it directly or have your insurance company submit it to the Office of Driver Services of the Iowa Department of Transportation.
  5. The SR-22 has to be maintained for a minimum period of 24 months. If the SR-22 lapses at any time, your insurance company will inform the State and your license will be suspended.


  1. You are required to comply with Iowa's financial responsibility laws even if you are from out of state.
  2. If you are required to file an SR-22 in Iowa, you must maintain it for the stipulated period, otherwise your right to drive in the state of Iowa will remain suspended. The Department of Transportation will also report any suspensions to your home state, which may result in suspension of your driver's license.