Instructions on How to Get your Registration Sticker in New York
Guide on how to obtain replacement registration sticker in the state of New York, plus info on safety and emissions inspection certificate stickers.
The New York Department of Motor Vehicles issues a registration sticker to put on the vehicle. If you did not get the vehicle from a NYS automobile dealer, you receive an inspection extension sticker. The sticker allows you 10 days from the registration date to get the vehicle inspected in NYS. Any NYS or out-of-state inspection issued to the previous registrants are not valid after the vehicle is registered to you. You must have the vehicle inspected.
If you are a non-resident who becomes a resident of NYS, your out-of-state inspection is valid until it expires, or for one year after the vehicle is registered in NYS, whichever comes first. After the inspection expires, you must have the vehicle inspected in NYS. If you receive an inspection extension sticker at the DMV office, destroy the sticker.
Replacing Registration Sticker
You can replace a lost or destroyed registration sticker:
Safety and Emissions Inspection Certificate StickersTo order the stickers online follow the instructions below:
- have your browser set to enable cookies
- know your facility number
- know which type of stickers you need to order
- use a credit card for payment
- have a valid e-mail address to receive confirmation. A protected or blocked e-mail address, including spam blocking software, may prevent you from receiving your confirmation e-mail. Your e-mail program must be able to receive e-mail from addresses that include the domain: dmv.ny.gov